Sunday, August 30, 2026

The Thing About Monte

 Click here to donate to the Huntsman Cancer Institute


A familiar place

Monte Cristo

If you know, then you know. Monte is an old friend - brutally honest at that. The climb starts out of Huntsville around 5,000 feet ASL. By the time you get to MP44, you are at just under 9,000 feet ASL. From MP44 to nearly MP50 you roll over the shoulders all above 8,900 feet. Nothing to fake here. The traffic is busier than it used to be, but still a great day - call it a long day. Coming off the top you are flying, as if you are still 12 years old. By the time you hit MP 35 near the Slate Spring, your are pedaling down hill to maintain 30+ MPH. You know the drill if you've followed this blog before. I love that ride, but hate the commitment and suffering that comes along with it.

Not a lot has changed in the last 45 years - aside from all the no trespassing signs along the way. It takes me back to far simpler times. Most places there isn't any cell service. There are places that you can see for ever - almost fifty years behind you if looking close enough. The season is too short when it comes to this place. Bear activity at the camp ground this year has created some problems, but there is still cold water at the hydrants. Unfortunately this week isn't going to allow much time to head back up there, but lets hope it pans out.

Upper Calf Creek Falls - Escalante

If you know, then you know....

A buddy of mine sent this to me this afternoon. The story is too much to go into at this point. I believe I did cover some of it a few years ago, but that's not for today. The changes are stunning, but the memories......those scars run deep. Going back sometimes is not as easy as one would want to believe. In fact, you can never really go back - anywhere. Still, the memory of what began there is haunting. That was the summer I first heard those words "I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then". At the time it seemed filler, but as time rolled by - prophetic. The world was such a big place, so far away it seemed. We never realized how far we had ventured into the pool until it was too late. I will never forget the hope and dreams I had after that first trip. I had never felt the beatings of life like I have after this many years. Still.....my heart aches knowing what I do, versus what I didn't at that time. I wouldn't change a thing.
Promises made, lives were changed - or so it seemed.

Making Changes

Adapting to a few bike changes will keep me in the valley tomorrow. It will still be 104 miles with 4,000 feet of climbing. Full up 28mm R3's on the DT Swiss. The bars are rolled a bit forward with the hoods dropped. Back on the 172.5 crank arms, as the climbing demands the leverage against the slightly taller tires. Hoping the setup meets the need so I can get back over Monte Wednesday. LOTOJA is less than 2 weeks out. Donations are flat - like pretty much everything else this year. Honestly this may be it for the Porpoise and the old Six-13 both. The bike has over 40K miles and is not as fast as the new stuff. Technology has changed, but the bike is getting tired - as am I. Some metrics are okay, others....shite! Tomorrow will tell me a lot. Stick around.

Check back in a couple days. We need to see MP 44 on the fast end.....

Its hard to believe  - 22 years ago!

Ride HARD!












No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave COMMENT.