![]() |
| A Morning Ride through the Dirt |
The Big Picture
I ran across this field early one morning this past week. The picture certainly doesn't do it justice. A field with perhaps millions of flower blossoms that collectively make up a sea of wonder. The morning was very peaceful as well. It is often these moments that get taken for granted, where I may continue to ride by. The outbound through this location is a subtle grade - maybe 3%, on dirt. It makes for a good opportunity to push hard until hitting some oil maybe 12 minutes along. It's not a place I would ordinarily stop as I try to make the most of that stretch. All too often while riding, I blow past stuff thinking how I should have stopped for a quick picture. As the season goes on, priorities have to be kept making it not feasible. Over the many years, I have recorded countless images in my own mind that are nearly impossible to share. These personal memories are often what keeps me going.
The ideal course...for now
![]() |
| The 52-mile out & back elevation profile |
Stand out
![]() |
| One small stand that has escaped the fence - standing out |
Complacency
Complacency will kill you - one way or the other. I learned the hard way about talking myself into believing I didn't need to put in all the hard work and effort. Sometimes I would underestimate the task and believe it to be far easier than it truly was. That never ended well. I believe it is somewhat human nature to be easily lulled into a sleep of forgetfulness, having already known the hardship that await us. You've got to be real and recognize those things that will hold you back before it is too late. Hard work and effort have to be commensurate with the desired result. As stupid as it sounds, even Joey Chestnut trains to be the world champion hotdog eater that he is. Nothing is easy. If it is....it simply can't be real.
Key milestones this week
With only three weeks until the Cache Century, it is time for some serious road climbing. The key will be setting up for success, while not giving in to the temporary pain. Suffering is a choice, but it is necessary to meet the objective.
Here's one back when Clapton stopped by to work with The Blues Breakers - and the "Beano Burts" '59 Gibson.
Ride HARD!



No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave COMMENT.